Understanding the world (UW)
- People and Communities (PC):
- children talk about past and present events in their own lives and in the lives of family members.
- they know that other children don’t always enjoy the same things, and are sensitive to this.
- they know about similarities and differences between themselves and others, and among families, communities and traditions.
- The world (TW):
- children know about similarities and differences in relation to places, objects, materials and living things.
- they talk about the features of their own immediate environment and how environments might vary from one another.
- they make observations of animals and plants and explain why some things occur, and talk about changes.
- Technology (T):
- children recognise that a range of technology is used in places such as homes and schools.
- they select and use technology for particular purposes.
As a Church school, Christian celebrations and festivals are part of our community life. Children learn about other world religions and their special days as they arise during the school year. Berkswich takes part in many local community and world charity events and in this way children gain a great understanding of people and their communities. Through their topic work, children undertake a variety of educational trips to enhance their learning. Weekly computer lessons take place in the ICT suite and children use a variety of technology for different purposes in the classroom. These include computers, iPad, cameras, microscopes and programmable toys.