How can parents help?
It is worth noting that teachers will help to guide children towards books appropriate to their ability and interests. There may be times when a child is asked to read a slightly less or more challenging book or one that is less or more demanding. Teachers will constantly respond to the data collected by AR in helping a child to be challenged appropriately.
Please also help by:
- encouraging your child to read books at their own book level (ZPD). Most children are more likely to be successful if they read within this range: it is proven to allow comprehension to grow along with reading skills.
- challenging your child to read a wide range of stories. Sets and favourite authors are great to encourage reading, but a wide range continuously introduces your child to new ideas, vocabulary and sentence structure
- sign in using Home Connect and encourage your child to meet their targets
- register your email in Home Connect so that you can see how your child is progressing in their quizes
- as with anything, performance improves with practice. According to Renaissance Learning’s research (the creators of AR), children who read at least twenty minutes a day within their reading range, with a 90% comprehension rate on AR quizzes, see the greatest gains.
Please encourage your child to read at home, discuss books, ask questions about what they have read and visit your local library. Sometimes a child is able to read a ‘hard book’, but struggles to understand the text fully. Please help your child to remain focused on what is important - understanding and enjoyment. This will see the best gains. Thank you so much for your support.