Communication and Language (CL)
- Listening and attention (LA):
- children listen attentively in a range of situations.
- they listen to stories, accurately anticipating key events and respond to what they hear with relevant comments, questions of actions.
- they give their attention to what others say and respond appropriately, while engaged in another activity.
- Understanding (U):
- children follow instructions involving several ideas or actions.
- they answer ‘how’ and ‘why’ questions about their experiences and in response to stories or events.
- Speaking (S):
- children express themselves effectively, showing awareness of listeners’ needs.
- they use past, present and future forms accurately when talking about events that have happened or are to happen in the future.
- they develop their own narratives and explanations by connecting ideas or events.
Children are encouraged to listen carefully and respond in a variety of ways on a daily basis. These opportunties include joining in with whole class, group and individual activities, as well as joining in with whole school assemblies and school plays.